The Oregon Cordless 40V CS300-A6 Chain Saw with 4.0 Ah Battery and Charger is a compact yet powerful chainsaw that does away with all the annoying nuisances that come with a gas powered chainsaw without compromising on the power. As buying a new chainsaw is a significant investment and ideally it should work at its best for many years despite frequent use it is necessary that the chainsaw comes with all the necessary bells and whistles and these bells and whistles stay in top condition for a considerable amount of time. The answer to the question – ‘Is the Oregon Cordless 40V CS300-A6 Chain Saw good enough to be that chainsaw?’ is the main objective of this review. The first impression of this chainsaw is positive though, and it seems like a nicely built, efficient piece of modern machinery that you can trust to serve you well with the least amount of hassles that can be offered by a chainsaw.
1.) PowerSharp Sharpening System: This is one of the revolutionary features of this chainsaw. At its core, a chainsaw is a cutting tool and for it to be working at its best, it needs to be sharp. Sharpening the chain on a chainsaw can be a big headache but this particular chainsaw remedies that by offering a great way to sharpen a dull chain in the middle of a job in just a matter of seconds making it very convenient not just to use but also to maintain.
1.) 4.0 Ah high capacity battery: The primary concern with any battery operated the device is its battery life. Thankfully with the Oregon CS300-A6, you do not have to worry about that. It can easily run longer than a similar gas powered chainsaw running on a full tank. The charger charges the battery pretty quickly as well. At full charge, it can cut through more than 400 medium sized branches with ease which is more than adequate for most jobs.
2.) Easy start: There is no pull cord for you to wrestle with. You also do not have to warm it up or experience any lag while starting up. This chainsaw can start instantaneously with the flick of a switch and works at a 100% from the moment it is switched on even under very cold conditions.
3.) Easy and sporadic maintenance: As mentioned earlier it is extremely easy to sharpen the chain. The battery system also means that there are no filters or oil changes needed. It just needs charging, the occasional sharpening and lubricating. This allows you to put more effort into your work and less effort on the chainsaw itself.
4.) Tool free chain tightening: Even though this is a standard feature on most similar chainsaws, we feel that the system on this chainsaw is slightly better. It is easier to use while still offering precise control.
5.) Quick charging: It can charge back to its full capacity in about 90-120 minutes which means that you can top up the battery during your lunch break making it an incredibly versatile chainsaw.
Pros of this chainsaw:
In this section we will list out all the reasons that should compel you to buy the Oregon CS300-A6 chainsaw:
No compromise on power: It is as powerful if not more powerful than a similar gas powered chainsaw. The beauty of this chainsaw is that it will work at its full strength from the beginning to the end. Even if it is a cold morning, there won’t be any starting trouble or drop in power. It will not stutter when the charge is low and will be going at full swing until the battery is completely discharged. This is a highly efficient system.
Super easy to care for: It has lesser number of parts compared to a gas powered chainsaw and these parts don’t require much attention to stay in top notch condition. This results in huge savings in its running cost and effort.
Easy to handle: As there are no complicated control mechanisms and charging, sharpening and lubricating are all very straight forward, pretty much anyone can use this and get satisfactory results.
Better Air Quality: No fumes, grime or smoke: Another advantage of the battery system is that there is no need to worry about smoke or any harmful fumes. The lesser number of moving points eliminates chances of oil leaks and to top it all off it operates at a much lower sound level.
Good battery life and fast charging: The 4 Ah battery will outlast pretty much the best gas powered chainsaw of similar dimensions. The battery can also be charged back to full capacity in under 2 hours making it an even better piece of machinery.
Here are some of the reasons that stop the Oregon CS300-A6 chainsaw from being perfect:
– A tad on the heavier side: It is almost 2lbs heavier than similar chainsaws and that can a bit difficult to get used to during the first few weeks of using it. Once you get used to the extra weight, it works like a charm. This is something most people can live with as the weight isn’t hefty enough to be a problem in the long run.
– Comes up short against harder words: While the motor is powerful enough to tackle most types of wood, against the hardest woods there is a noticeable difference in its cutting ability. It can still cut through hard woods. Just that it takes a little bit more effort and will let you down if you are on a time constraint.
What do its users think about it?
With over 91% buyers giving it at least a 4-star rating, it is a well-received product and the following are some of the things people liked most about the Oregon CS300-A6 chainsaw.
– Ease and quickness of getting started. This property garnered the most praise as people could set it up in a jiffy and get to work right away. It’s easy and efficient.
– The onboard sharpening tool. This is the feature that pleasantly surprised everyone. Most expected it to be a gimmicky addition but were overjoyed because it actually works and works well.
– Safer to use: It runs only when actually cutting which makes it a lot easier and safer to work with. Along with its relative quietness, people who switched from gas powered saws, state this as the biggest positive.
It was very difficult to find a persistent negative trait for this chainsaw but if we were nitpicking, this would be negative thing people noticed about this chainsaw
– Not powerful enough to smoothly cut hard woods: The chainsaw does seem a bit underpowered against really hard woods such as oak. This doesn’t mean that it can’t cut them. It just isn’t as smooth and easy as it is on softer types of wood and requires a little bit more patience and skill.
Should you opt for the Oregon Cordless 40V CS300-A6 Chain Saw with 4.0 Ah Battery and Charger?
This takes an already great tool and refines it further. It is well built and highly durable. This chainsaw is clean and quiet during operation which is a huge improvement over gas powered chainsaws. It is easy to use and even easier to maintain. It has a great battery and the charger is included. The price is competitive and the chain sharpening mechanism is a nice touch that almost makes this a perfect chainsaw. If you can live with the added weight and don’t mind its inadequacies against really hard wood, then go for it with your eyes closed.
It gets a thumbs up from us as it is a great chainsaw. It has some very strong positives and it works as advertised. There is no room for disappointment and the negatives have easy workarounds. Is it perfect? No. Is it close? Definitely!